A South-Indian Specialty which is light and stomach-friendly. It is made with just few ingredients and is a complete meal in itself. Here goes the recipe:
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1 cup plain yogurt, regular, low-fat
- 1 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1 green chilli
- Half-inch sliver of ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber, seeded
- Mash the cooked white rice, and set aside to cool. Whisk the yogurt to a smooth consistency, and set aside as well.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter add the urad dal. After 30 seconds add the green chilli and ginger. Turn off the gas. Add the salt.
- Once the spiced oil is cool, add the chopped cucumber. Add the rice and mash well so that the flavors of the vegetables and rice blend.
- Add the yogurt and mix well, until is the consistency of custard or oatmeal.
- Let the yogurt rice cool and then serve with pickle.