Mom’s Mango Pickle!
- Mangoes raw, washed, cut into 1″ pieces
- Turmeric powder – 4 tsp
- Fennel or moti saunf seeds – 200 gm
- Fenugreek seeds – 100 gm
- Mustard seeds – 6 and 1/s tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 15 tsp
- Onion seeds – 15 tsp
- Black salt – 15 tsp
- Ginger powder – 10gm
- Cumin seeds, roasted, powdered – 6and1/2 tsp
- Garam masla – 5tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Mix 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp turmeric powder with the mangoes. Keep overnight in a basket to drain out the water.
- Spread the mangoes on a dry cloth, and sun-dry for 2-3 days.
- Roast and pound the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, and mustard seeds coarsely. Mix with the remaining spices. Add to the mangoes and mix thoroughly.
- Again keep the mango mixture in the sun for 4 to 5 days. Stir the pickle often and ensure that there is no moisture left.
- When ready, store in airtight jars. This pickle stays good all the year round.